Monday, November 4, 2013

MicroAquarium Entry #3

The last time I went to check out my aquarium, it was mostly the same as before, but it had a few changes that I could find. To begin, there were several more of the organisms that I believe to be mosquito larvae and several more groups of them. Also, the desmids that I saw were much greener than the last time. The creature that I believed to be in the Coleps category of Ciliates was seemed to be in the same spot, and again while I watched it, it did not move. I saw a few more Copepods around my aquarium, which I have found them to be Cycloips. Some of them have now developed egg sacs, and some of them you can see with the naked eye. They are by no means large, but if they are moving in the aquarium, you can find them without a microscope. I believe I saw a soil nematode in the bottom corner this time. It was moving along the side toward the bottom and eventually disappeared. The other new organism I found was an Annelida, more specifically it was a Tubifex. It was moving, very snake-like, near the bottom of my aquarium, and it too disappeared into the sand a few seconds after I saw it. I used the Guide to Microlife writtern by Kenneth G. Rains and Bruce J. Russel to identify these creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment