Monday, October 28, 2013

MicroAquarium Entry #2

When I went back to my aquarium for the first time since setting it up, not much had changed. I was able to find several different organisms and I believe I correctly identified them. The first organism I saw was very insect-like with two long, jointed tails. It moved quickly like it was crawling and I believe it to be a Crustacea in the Copepods category.I saw two of these, one at the bottom and one in the middle of the aquarium. I saw several green, thin strands that seemed to be some Desmids. Also, I saw several small, pill-shaped creatures that often traveled in circles or S-shapes. Often when I saw them, they were in very large groups swimming around. I presumed them to be either mosquito larvae or nematodes. The last organism I saw was also the most interesting. It was very close to the bottom and the entire time I watched it, it did not move. It was vary large with a circular shaped body. It had a tail with five or six divisions in it. And all around its body were small hairs, which I believe were cilia. When searching through the book, I think that this organism I saw was in the Coleps category of the Ciliates. All of the findings that I recorded came from the Pond Life Identification Kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment